For anyone who didn't hear the story, here's a recap.....
The week before we moved Chase came down here to find us a place to live and for some meetings, I stayed in Boise to finish packing. Well, two days before we were supposed to be moving I decided to go on one last bike ride with a friend. I was so excited, came home from work, got all my bike gear on and went out to our deck to get my bike. (we lived on the second floor and had a deck/balcony thing that we have kept our bikes on since we moved there over a year before) Well, I opened the sliding door and stepped to my bike....only there was no bike, just an empty spot where not only my bike, but Chase's bike were supposed to be. I was shocked, stunned. I couldn't figure out what was going on. So I went back in the house, then walked back outside... thinking the bikes were there and that I just didn't see them. Still no bikes, so I went on a ram-page through the house trying to find where Chase had put them. They were no where to be seen. Once again I was in shock, no way had someone stole my bike right before my very last Boise ride, surely this was Chase playing a joke on me (I had been arguing that it was a necessity to take my bike to Memphis, even if it meant strapping it on the top of the trailer.... maybe he had taken it to someone's house to be funny). I tried desperately to get a hold of him before I completed freaked out, but he was in meetings and had his phone turned off. Finally the shock wore off and I realize the horrible possiblity that someone could have stolen my bike....my bike!! And then I lost it.....I don't think I've cried that hard or that long for a very long time!! I called Chase again to this time leave a message..... I couldn't even get out the words that 'someone had stolen our bikes' (later he told me when he got my message, and heard me crying he thought someone had died).
Anyways...... some little twerp (or twerps) managed to shimmy up onto our deck to steal both our bikes. I was pissed!! If only I had heard them.... it would have been hell to pay!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well.... there is a happy ending to this story. We had Renters Insurance! Not only renters insurance, but Full Replacement Cost Renters Insurance, this translates into brand spankin' new bikes!! So thank you, you twerp who stole my bike! I just got a brand new one.... and I got to upgrade!! Because Chase's bike was a custom made bike, we got more money for it than what we paid (so in a way we made money off this whole deal) ...Chase found a bike very similar to his on ebay, got a good deal because it's a little older, and then gave the left over money to me to spend on my bike!!
So here she is......
A Gary Fisher Cobia.... it's a Fisher 29er, which means it's got 29" wheels instead of the traditional 26". This results in a greater angle of attack, giving more traction, and allowing you to go over things quicker, smoother, faster .... and help to give you more momentum. Oh, I've got the chills just thinking about it... I can not wait to get it out on the trails!!! (maybe this is what I need to help my downhill -which has been really struggling lately!!)
....I stuck with a hard tail, just a little better front fork .....one day I'll upgrade again to full suspension, but for now Hard Tails Rock!!
There's a picture of the big wheels for ya! =)
The only downer to the bike is that it's got SRAM shifters, instead of Shimano.... those are going to take some getting used to, but I'm sure it will only take a few rides.
Here's a picture of the SRAM shifters to kind of show the difference (its not the best picture... ignore the glare and look just below it to the two black shifters!) You shift both up and down with your thumb, instead of of thumb and pointer like you do on Shimano. (if anyone knows how, or even if it is possible, to change these out for Shimano, let me know!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyways... that's probably way too much unneeded info, and a very long story ...but I needed to write it all down somewhere!
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Congrats on your new bikes! Even though it was a horrible way to get them, all those renter insurance premiums you paid really paid you back. Let us know about your first ride!
Sweet bike! Is it brand new? Do you already have a bike shop that you can claim "yours"? Are there any good trails your way?
The shifters are pretty easy to switch out. My bike had the same thing and I 'upgraded' for free.
Yeah for you. I'm glad it worked out in your favor in the end. Yeah for insurance. She looks like a beauty.
nice bike! For as much as I know about bikes. I would ask how it is going there but I hear you are moving back. I hope to see you around. I would be hard to have him gone all the time in a new place. I might be a little scared to go out by myself there. Ask Shawn about his new calling.
That is an awesome bike! Its a good thing you got renters insurance it really paid off! It looks like you are doing great!
New bike.............Nice Dani-do-do!
Luv, Kac
Hey Dani-
This is Lindsey Rasmussen (Walker). I randomly found your blog! I can't believe you live in Mississippi! That is crazy. Hope you're doing good!
Post a Comment