Tuesday, August 12, 2008

a few of MY favorite things

Since moving away from Boise.....and Idaho, I've come to appreciate things I always took for granted. Here's my list:

  1. the mountains....and how dang close they are
  2. skiing... i always complained that it took forever to get to bogus, but now a 40 minute drive to the top of the hill isn't looking too bad
  3. bikes...you say 'mountain biking' out here and people just give you a weird look, apparently it doesn't exist considering they have no mountains
  4. family... i always complained that i didn't like boise and that it was too far away from everybody, once again a couple hour drive isn't looking too shabby
  5. chapped lips... that means it is dry, which means there is no humidity... i will never again complain about chapped lips and dry skin
  6. refreshing rain showers.... so far, rain out here just means sticky, hot, and wet
  7. cool summer nights.... the ones were you need a sweatshirt
  8. clean(er), clear(er) rivers... that you can actually get into ...again, i won't complain about the snake being too 'mossy' or dirty, the mississippi is muddy and gross! ...this one could be a stretch, i'm sure there are probably small rivers than the mississippi that you can play in...but for the sake of this blog i am dismissing them =)
  9. everything being right at your fingertips... whether it be camping, hiking, biking, skiing, fishing, boating -the west was made for the outdoors!
  10. being in the same time zone as all our family (i hate being an hour ahead...it feels like you guys get a longer day than us!!)
So, there's my list. I can complain about a lot, but I know I will survive because Colorado will help to solve all my problems. It won't be right next door, but at least it'll be closer than here and in the same time zone! ....And to give Tennessee/Mississippi a break, it is really pretty out here. Everything is very green, with trees and plants everywhere. It's pretty cool...you drive by a patch of trees, and they all have vines growing up the trunks. Also, this week has been cooler, with a little less humidity which has made going outside plesant!

5 comments:

aironn said...

Hang in there! I know I missed the West too when I wasn't here. Once you leave Tennessee/Missippi, you'll probably be missing some of it too. Good luck!

The Porter's said...

Thanks Dani for the good reminder of how awesome Boise is. I needed it. And can I just tell you how much I hate you for making me an addict of Steep & Cheap (and now gearengine).

I'm pretty much all healed up. There is some color still from my black eye but it covers easily with make-up.

Have fun... Go and do adventurous things that you can look back on and have fabulous memories.

The Porter's said...

Yes, I'm addicted to that too! I like gearengine only because it updates itself and it only goes for a few minutes. Sshh don't tell but I just minimize the screen at work-- I'm on the 12-step program :]

Shay and Kira said...

Dani...I miss you! I am so saddened by your post. Makes we want to give you my mountain and my river (to borrow for a while) haha. At the same time I am so jealous that you are going to Colorado. i ahve always wanted to go there. So are you working anywhere yet?

Shay and Kira said...

Dani...I miss you! I am so saddened by your post. Makes we want to give you my mountain and my river (to borrow for a while) haha. At the same time I am so jealous that you are going to Colorado. i ahve always wanted to go there. So are you working anywhere yet?