First off...this is not a picture of my peaches....it's a picture of my sister-in-law, Jess's!! I thought it was so pretty and meant to take a picture of mine, but I forgot to before I put all my jars downstairs where it is too dark to take a decent picture! (So, thanks Jess, hope you don't mind I borrowed yours!! :) )
BUT! I did really can peaches!! I feel like such a little 'home maker'!! For the last little bit all I have wanted were some dried peaches-so I called my mom and asked her to get me a box if and when she got herself some....Chase must have heard me talking to her because when he got home from Utah one week he had a big box of peaches!! I was SO excited! We ran and bought a food dryer so I could have my dried peaches. Drying peaches takes a very long time though---and we knew we wouldn't get them all dried before they went bad, so we started canning. Now we've got a whole shelf full of canned peaches...and the coolest part is I'm sure alot of them will get smashed up and used as food for our baby!!
I feel such a great sense of accomplishment!!! :)
....and also this year, the church has a farm out here that they grow corn for all the members, so we got to go and pick our corn & then spent a weekend bagging and freezing it. I love 'getting all ready for winter' like this....I remember doing it every year at home, and it's fun to now be doing it for my own little family!
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Peaches for Baby!!
First off...this is not a picture of my peaches....it's a picture of my sister-in-law, Jess's!! I thought it was so pretty and meant to take a picture of mine, but I forgot to before I put all my jars downstairs where it is too dark to take a decent picture! (So, thanks Jess, hope you don't mind I borrowed yours!! :) )
BUT! I did really can peaches!! I feel like such a little 'home maker'!! For the last little bit all I have wanted were some dried peaches-so I called my mom and asked her to get me a box if and when she got herself some....Chase must have heard me talking to her because when he got home from Utah one week he had a big box of peaches!! I was SO excited! We ran and bought a food dryer so I could have my dried peaches. Drying peaches takes a very long time though---and we knew we wouldn't get them all dried before they went bad, so we started canning. Now we've got a whole shelf full of canned peaches...and the coolest part is I'm sure alot of them will get smashed up and used as food for our baby!!
I feel such a great sense of accomplishment!!! :)
....and also this year, the church has a farm out here that they grow corn for all the members, so we got to go and pick our corn & then spent a weekend bagging and freezing it. I love 'getting all ready for winter' like this....I remember doing it every year at home, and it's fun to now be doing it for my own little family!
Posted by Dani at 4:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Okay- that was so funny. i pull up your blog and all of a sudden I see my peaches! I was confused for half a second. I love canned peaches- they are so pretty! And yay on getting yours finished- I still want to buy a dehydrator for peaches next year! Those were so yummy!
And I think it's fun getting ready for the winter too- it makes me feel a little bit like I'm in the story "The ant and the grasshopper", but it's all good! I love getting things done and then looking at my food storage- it's like I can say to myself "I CAN SURVIVE!"
Great job on the peaches! I've never dried them. I guess I'll have to find a dehydrater out here and give it a whirl next year. I made peach jam yesterday for the first time and it turned out pretty yummy. We still had peaches from the last time I canned them. Once you start, it's addicting and you'll be canning anything and everything. Gives you such a sense of accomplishment!
Post a Comment