Thursday, April 23, 2009

Rocky Mountain High

We are now in Colorado....after 7 states, 1,204 miles, 3 days in the car, a pit stop at The Big Texan, and a very welcomed transition from (a very small amount of) humidity to snow!! So far...so good! We are loving Colorado! We are living in a little mountain town...about 20 miles from Denver. Our apartment is right along the river(note: the river is orange in this picture...b/c one day, a dam at a mine broke, leaking mine sludge into the river...it was pretty wild looking and lasted for several hours) ...close to a bunch of ski resorts...and (hopefully) close to a bunch a mountain bike trails...with perfect weather that averages around 80 in the summer!! Hurray...I am in HEAVEN! We also made it out here for the awesome Spring Snow Storm that hit Colorado pretty good! We got SO SO much snow.... somewhere between 3 and 4 feet in 48 hours! It was so sweeet! ***I tried to make it up to enjoy all the pow pow at the ski area, but that is another story in itself- to condense it, I ended up loosing control on the interstate, spinning a 300 amidst all the other anxious skiers, getting stuck, having to be pulled out, and topping it all off with have to turn around and go back home because I had no chains and no 4-wheel drive. The good part of the story is that neither me or my truck -or anyone else- was hurt. -Which brings me to another side note...I am selling our truck, if anyone wants a good 'southern' beast that sucks in the snow and you are willing to drive to Denver to get it let me know-- *** BACK to the snowstorm...the interstate up the mountain got closed, trapping me and over 500 hundred travelers up here and trapping Chase down in Denver for the night. It was nuts!!! -We are renting an apartment at a hotel and the hotel was packed full of people...and there were three shelters set up in the middle and elemtary schools for stranded people to stay!! It was crazy, but I loved every single minute of it!! I got to shovel snow for hours on end...and couldn't stop smiling!!!! (this picture is from ONE of the Four times I shoveled...every time I went out I shoveled this much snow...so times these 4-6 inches by 4... :) once again, I am in Heaven!) Chase made it home safe and sound, and we got to enjoy a fun weekend in a winter wonderland!! --Another funny side note, our church was cancelled in Mississippi when it snowed 1/2 an inch...but in Colorado, four feet of snow only delayed church an hour!! Heee!!! Sadly, the snow is pretty much all gone now. Oh well, it was good while it lasted!! Man! I Love this Rocky Mountain High!!!!

8 comments:

The Porter's said...

Oh Dani, only you would be saying you are loving the snow... even in APRIL!

Glad you made it to Colorado safe and sound!

aironn said...

You sound soooooo HAPPY in this post! It almost made me want snow. I'm so glad you made it to Colorado in time to see some snow. Just think about all the fun biking this summer and skiing next winter and the next and the next.....

Burch said...

Dan..............I an glad your happy sista'! Love you,
Kaci

Kim and family said...

Welcome closer to HOME! We are glad to hear you are happy, safe and sound! Hope to see more and hear more from you:)
Looking forward to summer on the river and hope to share some wake boarding adventures... Love ya

Cara said...

I need a mountain biking partner - I wish you moved back to Boise.

Glad you and your crappy truck are alright. Sounds like a pretty crazy snowstorm.

The Travellers said...

Dani! How are you? Where exactly do you live? My sister lives in Colorado Springs. She loves it there. That is so awesome now we visit the both of you in one trip! I hope all is going well.

The Kidds said...

Sick Sick Sick

Krissy said...

Since your not posting about it I just wanted to tell you congrats on the little secret I heard the other day. and how excited I am our little ones will only be about 3 weeks apart... FUN TIMES!!!